Fifty years ago, no one knew a term of “Social Media”. But now, everyone knows about it. This term has become a common knowledge in society especially for youngsters. it is a new entertainment where people can share and exchange their thought, personal information, photo plus interest. This media is growing bigger every day with more and more people use it.
New social media always appear every year with more interesting things that can be offered to internet users. Now, there are many social media like Blogger, MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and so on. Below this is a brief history of social media:
- In 1978, the first social media was created. Bulletin Board System (BBS) was created by Ward Christensen and Randy Suess used to announce meeting and sharing information by posting it on BBS. It was the beginning of virtual community and the first dial-up in history.
- 1995 was a year for personal website. After internet (WWW) launched and loved by many people, Geocities was launched by Beverly Hills Internet (BHI). Geocities’ service was web hosting. It allowed internet users to create simple websites for themselves.
- Early social media service that appeared in 1997 was SixDegrees. SixDegrees let its users to create profile and list of friends. It was used by 1 million users.
- 1999 was a year for Blogger and Livejournal. Users could write, share and communicate with friends by using their own blog or journal.
- Friendster was launched in 2002. It could be include in social networking group. It let users to create profile and virtual connection with people around the world. Now, Friendster has become a social media for games.
- MySpace, LinkedIn and WordPress launched in the same year, 2003. Most of MySpace users were musician and band. WordPress was created to be used as open-source content management system. And LinkedIn was social networking for business-oriented.
- In 2004, Mark Zuckerberg launched ‘The Facebook’. In the beginning, The Facebook was created as social networking for college students.
- YouTube was launched in 2005. It was founded by Jawed Karim, Steve Chen and Chad Hurley. They were employees of PayPal. It was a social sharing that let users freely upload and share a video.
- Twitter was launched in 2006. It was known as social networking and microblogging site. It let its member to share and exchange 140 character messages. This short message was called as Tweets.
- In 2011, Google launched new product of social networking named Google plus (Google+). Google plus let you have a video chat (hangout) and exchange information.
- In 2012, The first social scrapbooking that gained 10 million users faster in history launched. This social scrapbooking’s name is Pinterest. In Pinterest, you could create and share album of photos.
This is only a brief history of social media. We summarize it for you, not all of them. For more information about social media, you can give DGtraffic a call. We have an expert team that can help you.